Market in Bologna

Market in Bologna
Market in Bologna

Monday, July 26, 2010

Gluten Free Food

This week I was asked to go out of my box and for one of my clients. She loves the food she receives. She has made me aware of having Celiac disease (wheat intolerant) and has always ordered wheat free products. I have always made sure to use ingredients that are free any gluten. Just to be safe I always make my own stock for my products and home made broth always tastes so much better anyway!

I worked hard and have come up with a great GLUTEN-FREE Chicken Parmesan and also a moist and tender GLUTEN-FREE Meatloaf. If you want to liven up your wheat free enjoyment, you might try these. We can also substitute our organic corn pasta made in Italy for regular pasta, although I do not find it a good substitute in cold pasta salads.

Here’s just a little information for you on items that might contain gluten. The list is really long, so I suggest reading labels before making purchases. Some other names for gluten might be

Distilled vinegar

Rennet

Modified food starch

Grain alcohol

Yeast

Here are just a short list of items that I would suggest label reading before purchasing.Cheese (rennet), cooking sprays, bottled spaghetti sauce, canned tuna, processed meats,all bakery products, low fat products like sour cream (usually contain modified food starch), vanilla (grain alcohol), ketchup, pickles (distilled grain vinegar) and even Worcestershire sauce, canned soups and broths. Check most spices that they don’t have additives.

As you can see, the list is long! A few companies claim to be free of gluten such as Lea & Perrins Worcestershire, Heinz Ketchup, McCormick Spices and Pacific Natural Foods

(chicken, vegetable and beef broth). There are many more companies that have finally become sensitive to this growing problem.

For anyone having any FOOD SENSITIVITIES, please email or call and I will try to come up with a menu plan to fit your needs. I know there is a set menu on the website but you must remember that I am ITALIAN and rules, even my own, are merely suggestions. That may not make sense, but…I don’t have to make sense, I’m ITALIAN!


There is plenty of information available on food sensitivities but I hope this is a good start for anyone unfamiliar with this disease. At A Tasteful Experience we will do our best to fill your culinary desires and care for any of your dietary needs.

1 comment:

  1. Good info. We have friends who are required to be gluten free. Will pay close attention to your advice.

    ReplyDelete