Market in Bologna

Market in Bologna
Market in Bologna

Monday, October 25, 2010

HEALTHY MEDITERRANEAN COOKING!

When I think of Mediterranean cooking, I think Italian coastal but many of us think of Spa food when we mention the diet from the Mediterranean. Usually in Spa's you will also find these foods fused with Asian technique. I have been working on some new lighter recipes, since that is what so many of you have been requesting.

I don't really do diets or diet food but like to work on lifestyle and cooking for flavor and living a healthy life. Following the guidelines of the Mediterranean diet will give you something to look forward to at each meal and the opportunity to live a happy and healthy life.

After starting my catering business and working on many new recipes, I found that "taste does make waist"...yikes, I gained 10 pounds! So...I am sympathetic to your requests for lower calorie foods. I will get back to more soups as we move into winter but for today, it is a nice light scallop dish. I love the flavor and texture of scallops but this same recipe would lend itself to shrimp or even a firm light fish (like halibut). The thing I love about the Mediterranean way of cooking, it brings a passion for sitting at the table! Buon Appetito!

SAUTEED SCALLOPS

3 Tablespoons Italian lemon infused extra virgin olive oil

If you don’t have above combine 3 tablespoons olive oil with 2 tablespoons

lemon zest and let stand for 12 hours, then strain.

1 Lb. fresh large scallops

1 Teaspoon honey

1 Teaspoon lemon juice

½ Papaya, small dice

1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped (use parsley if no cilantro is available)

1 Teaspoon chives, chopped

1 Tablespoon red pepper, finely chopped

1 Tablespoon red onion, finely chopped

In a small bowl mix together honey and lemon juice, then mix in the papaya,

cilantro, chives, pepper and onion. Set aside. Lightly oil a large sauté pan, over

medium heat cook scallops 2 to 3 minutes per side until cooked. Be careful to

not overcook. Serve with 2 teaspoons lemon oil and 2 tablespoons papaya mixture.

Might I suggest serving over lemon rice or wild rice with baby organic carrots or green beans.

Divide scallops into 4 servings, about 225 calories per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment