Market in Bologna

Market in Bologna
Market in Bologna

Friday, August 27, 2010

Tomato Basil Soup

Another week has gone by and I have been cooking up all kinds of great recipes for my clients! While I should have been writing in the evenings, after completing my cooking, I watched cooking movies! One of my favorites is Tortilla soup and of course, The Big Night, for the 100th time. Both movies reminded me of the simplicity and fresh flavor of our traditional foods.

Currently, I am harvesting beautiful tomatoes and basil. So here's a great quick soup recipe. I'm using starchy potatoes for thickener, homemade broth, although store bought is fine. Check the label for sodium, we really need to watch our sodium intake! I hope you enjoy the recipe. Another great soup comes Siena and is Bread and Tomato Soup but that's another story. When I write my next cookbook, there is going to be a big soup section. Fresh, healthy, generally easy and you can get multiple meals from one cooking.

Enough about me writing books...Tomato Basil soup below is a great starter, light and fresh. This was actually the soup I was given in a wine bar in Orvieto to accompany a few different red Umbrian varietals. Buon Appetito!

TOMATO BASIL SOUP

2 Oz pancetta, cut into cubes

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 Small onion, finely chopped

1 Shallot, finely chopped

2 ½ to 3 Lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded and pureed (leave a little chunky)

¼ Cup + 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

3 Russet potatoes, small, peeled, cut into small dice

4 Cups, low sodium chicken broth or water

½ Cup cream (milk is ok)

Fresh grated romano cheese for garnish

In soup pot, place oil and pancetta and cook until pancetta starts to crisp, add onion and cook until onion is tender and translucent, add shallot and cook until shallot is tender, by now the onion is turning a nice golden color. Add tomatoes, ¼ cup of basil, salt & pepper. Cook at a simmer for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the broth, bring to a strong simmer and cook until potatoes become tender, break with a fork or the back of a wooden spoon. Add remaining 2 cups of broth and for 30 to 45 minutes until thick and with deep flavor. Take off the heat. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil and the cream. Serve immediately in soup bowls, garnish each bowl with grated cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment